Sunday, October 14, 2012

Back from my first one-week business trip to Vietnam. I am still a fresh greenhorn in the corporate world. So much to learn from all my colleagues and top management people on how to interact and present myself professionally. In fact, I still act much like a student. The landscape there is pretty much of similar resemblance to other regions in Southeast Asia such as Bangkok. The people are generally friendly and soft-spoken. Somehow each time I returned from an oversea trip, I will have many thoughts. 

I visited the animal farm, harvested my crops and ate them fresh from the farm, and had occasional business conversations with the locals and some foreigners. The traffic there is, to my opinion, very congested. There was no proper traffic system and pollution was prevalent in the cities. People had to wear mask while riding their bikes. Crossing the road, to foreigners like me, can be quite a challenge. Sometimes, back at home, we adore order too much. I appreciate the government's effort in regulating such order in our society, especially the transport network. Yes, we often complain about the train breakdowns, packed trains and congested traffic during peak hours. But at least, traveling from place to place is often a breeze with the well-connected train networks and recent opening of the circle line. Crossing the road, even on a busy day, is safe due to the countless pedestrian crossings.

We do not own much natural resources in our homeland. As a result, I am often worried whether future generations, including myself, will miss out on what mother nature has to offer abundantly. It is quite a sad plight to see young kids glue to their electronic gadgets rather than enjoy the nature. While I laze, sip a warm cup of Vietnamese tea and enjoy the cool breeze in the farm, I realize how detached from nature I have become due to my constant living in a concrete jungle. At night, I explored the bay just opposite my hotel and was amazed at how beautiful it is as compared to our artificial waterways. I like how other parts of Southeast Asia have disorderly streets, bright neon lights and random shop houses emerging along the stoned pavements. Back at home, we are able to view the scenic developments at Esplanade and Marina Bay, but it is through this disorderliness that we see vibrancy and zest in life. It is an irony given that I am person who likes orderliness.

I read few news articles about locals' wish to be first in the Happiness Index (comparable to Bhutan's??) and an increasing number of our population living abroad. Living abroad, as reported, has its perks such as work-life balance and a less hostile/competitive society. I also watched 2 episodes of The Successors on CNA about 2 equally bright ladies from Philippines and Indonesia respectively who have the vision and bold spirit to advance their businesses.

(1) Higher Happiness Index (2) Living Abroad: Work-Life Balance (2) Feisty Ladies Who Succeed in Their Businesses. What do you see in these 3 points? Do you see a trade-off or there is not? It daunts upon me on what I want to see myself to be like in the many years to come. I admire how some women can carve a successful career and yet be equally committed/loving to their families and children. To me, in order to be a complete woman, is to have a compassionate heart, loving family and sensible kids. I believe these are sustainable options that will benefit society even till the day I died.




No comments: